S C E R T : : Andhra Pradesh
Directorate of State Council of Educational Research and Training(SCERT)
The State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) Andhra Pradesh, was established on 27-07-1967, amalgamating the following institutions:
- The State Institute of Education.
- The State Bureau of Education and Vocational Guidance.
- The State Science Education Unit and
- The State Evaluation Unit
- To Organise in – service training for teacher educators and to teachers of Primary, Upper Primary and Secondary Schools.
- To Act as a clearing house for ideas and information to keep the teacher educators and teachers abreast of the latest developments in the field of Education
- To Provide academic guidance to the schools through extention services.
- To Undertake studies, investigations and surveys relating to educational matters on the appraisal of educational programmes.
- To Undertake and co – ordinate action research projects on instructional practices, Educational problems etc.
- To Undertake publication of books, periodicals and other literature necessary for furtherance of knowledge for teachers.
- To Undertake evaluation and research studies to find out the impact of educational programmes in the state.
Based on its objectives as the academic wing of the Department of School Education. The following are the functions of SCERT.
- Preparation of curricula, syllabi, instructional material for Primary, Upper Primary, Secondary and alternative systems of education.
- Department of evaluation procedures and material which are helpful to the practicing teachers.
- Bridging gaps between the methods and techniques advocated in training and the actual classroom practices.
- Dissemination of knowledge to improved methods and techniques to be followed by educational institutions.
- Co-ordination with national and international organisations in academic programmes.
- Organisation of orientation programmes for the professional growth of teachers, teacher – education, supervisor’s etc.
- Publication of journals, periodicals, books etc. ,
- Resource support to implement the academic policies laid down by the Government.
SCERT has some constituent units spread over the entire state. They are :-
- Institutes or Advances Study in Education (IASEs) Colleges of Teacher Education. (CTEs)
- District institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) / Teacher Training institutes (T. T. I. s)
- Extention Service Departments.
- Science Teacher’s Centres.
SCERT works in collaboration with national and International Institutions like NCERT, NIEPA, RIE, UNICEF, ODA (U. K.) and UNFPA.
The Programs Undertaken are:
- Non-formal Education (NFE)
- Improvement of Science Education (ISE)
- Environmental Orientation to School Education (EOSE)
- Integrated Education for the Disabled Children (IEDC)
- Computer Literacy Assisted Schools (CLASS)
- Educational Technology (ET)
- Introduction of Yoga in Schools.
- Population Education programmes under UNFPA.
- Universalization of Girls Education (UGE)
- Education for All (EFA)
SCERT co-ordinates various academic programmes of IASE’s CTE’s. DIETs. TTIs and the Extention Services Departments functioning in IASE, CTEs and DIETs.
SCERT also provides liaison with State Board of Secondary Education. Commissioner for Government Examinations and other organisations which are basically involved in the curricular and co-curricular areas in education.
SCERT provides expert services to various institutions which are working in the field of education for qualitative and quantitative improvement.
The Institutions where expert services are provided are
It also provides expert services to schools run by Indian Railways and public Sector Undertakings as and when it approaches.
For the professional growth of teachers. SCERT takes up in. Service training courses for Primary. Upper – Primary Secondary teachers and teacher –educators, besides providing sources material like hand books, manuals and other publication.
SCERT also organises seminars. Workshops, conferences involving teachers, teacher - educators, supervisors and administrators.
Research and Evaluation
SCERT undertakes action research, studies, experimental research and evaluation of the programmers implemented by it. It also promotes research and evaluation studies by teacher educators and action research by the practicing teachers.
Beyond the Class Room
SCERT organises Science fairs at the District and State levels to promote scientific temper and to encourage innovation and research among the students and teachers. This is an annual feature. The State Science Fair is organised on a grand scale. Books on projects / experiments are published both at the district and state levels.
Similarly SCERT also conducts seminar readings for the students at the district and state levels every year. SCERT collaborates with A. P. Mathematics Teachers Association in organising Mathematics Olympiad every year. Encouragement is given to the schools for the establishment of Science clubs, Social Studies clubs and other hobbies to help pupils to spend their leisure time in pursuit of academic excellence.
SCRET has good library with latest books and periodicals. The books on content, Pedagogy, reference, friction etc. are available. A reading room is available in the library.
Computer CellComputer Cell
Computer CELL of SCERT organised CLASS project in Secondary Schools in the State, provided training to the Headmasters. Administrators and Lecturers of the SCERT/DIETS/ and officers of the Directorate of School Education.
It also serves the department by providing computer services like computerisation of Schemes, Project proposals, Documentation of activities. Preparation of notes for conferences, Training courses. Preparation of academic calendars of SCERT/DIETs. Computerisation of Educational Statistics, undertaking confidential work like results of examination. etc. ,
SCERT develops syllabus and textbooks under
Environmental Orientation to School Education and resource material in the form of hand books, manuals, enrichment material for teachers under various schemes such as :
- Special Orientation for Primary Teachers.
- Non – formal Education.
- Environmental Orientation to School Education.
- Improvement of Science Education.
- Population Education
- UNICEF (Comprehensive Access to Primary Education / Primary Curricular Renewal.)
- News Letter for distribution among teachers and teacher – education.
Areas of Interface with the General Public and Other Departments
SCERT is the apex body at the State level for improvement of quality in elementary and secondary education. The institution deals with preparation of syllabus, evaluation of textbooks training and resource support to teachers. Therefore the parents and the teachers are considered to be the clientele for seeking guidance from the institution Wherever academic guidance is required institution provides necessary inputs.
Future Vision of the Department
National Policy of Education 1986 and Programme of action lay a lot of stress on the qualitative improvement of education. The Govt. of India has made the State Councils of Education Research and Training as nodal agencies to look into the task of qualitative improvement of Elementary Education at Elementary and Secondary Education levels. Teacher Education Institution like DIETs, IASEs, CTEs etc. , co-ordinate and implement UNICEF projects like UGC, EFA and other projects like MLLs, Distance Education. The institution’s major responsibility is to ensure quality in teacher education.
The viewers are requested, if any link provided here is found false please feel free to mail to rectify the error and make use of all teachers and Studens of Andhra Pradesh . Our contact information and mail is email@example.com .
Facebook See my profile at